It is fun using WordPress as a tool for building a website, blogging, or as a content managing system. This open-source software continues to grow in popularity thanks to the flexibility it provides to its users and the ease in managing it as a newbie or experienced techie. Nevertheless, it takes the good bits of dedication and learning to master how to use this platform.
As a WordPress user, one of the primary areas of concern is how to insert a table in WordPress?. All it takes is a few minutes (or is it hours) of scouring through the WordPress editor to realize that it does not have a table button. Still, this does not mean you cannot use a table when creating a page on your site.
The importance of tables for your site
There is no denying how essential tables are for anyone who wants to present structured data or information appealingly. Your readers will love how simplified information becomes when it is shown in a table. Most importantly, it breaks the monotony of having a page that lacks well-structured data/information.
But, what is the best way to navigate through the issues of inserting a table in a platform whose primary editor does not provide this option?
Creating WordPress tables without plugins
If you regularly use WordPress, it is vital to master the step-by-step procedures required to make the most out of the platform. As such, before you rush to look for plugins to help insert table WordPress, learn the following methods:
1. Use Google documents
A straightforward way to learn how to add a table in WordPress is by using Google docs to your advantage. This can be done by:
- Creating a Google document or sheet
- If you opt to use Google document the go to the insert button and select tables
- Choose the number of rows and columns needed
- A table will automatically be created, and you can then populate it with the data required
- Copy-paste the data from Google document or sheet to the WordPress editor
The simplicity of using this method comes with the limitation of the lack of customization options. Once the tables have been created, they will not be responsive to any styling options you might want to make.
2. Use table generators
Another exciting option for adding tables to a WordPress page is by using table generators. These tools are highly recommended for those who cannot code CSS or HTML. To use this method, you need to:
- First, choose a table generator to use. The top-rated ones currently include Rapid Tables and Responsive Table Generator Tool.
- Use the table generator to create a table by opting for the desired design, size, and appearance.
- The HTML version of the table will be generated, and you can paste the code into your site.
Populate the table with the data/information required, and publish the page.
Compared to using Google documents, table generators provide several customization options. However, these styling options are limited and depend on the type of table generator used.
3. Use the Gutenberg editor.
Finally, if you want to know to insert a table in WordPress without plugins, the new Gutenberg editor is an option to consider. This editorial tool was launched with WordPress 5.0 and has proven to be highly effective. The right procedure for using it is:
- Open the Gutenberg editor and use it to create the WordPress page.
- Go to the ‘Add Block’ icon represented by a circled + sign at the top bar of the editor.
- Click on it, and under the ‘Formatting’ group, select the ‘table’ option.
- Set the number of rows and columns you want the click the ‘Create Table’ button
- The table will be created, and you will have the freedom to set the style and alignment required. This is done using the table block toolbar.
- Other customization options are provided on the Block panel.
The Gutenberg editor will quickly insert table WordPress, but it will look basic. To make it look better and visually appealing, you will need to know about CSS.
Insert WordPress tables with plugins
Most WordPress users depend on plugins to make the use of the platform easier. In the quest to know how to add a table in WordPress, these solutions come handy. There are lots of plugins that can be used to solve this problem and the best on the market are:
A favorite plugin option for creating tables in WordPress is, without a doubt, TablePress. It is a free plugin that comes with great features for creating and managing tables. To use it, you need to:
- Install and activate the plugin.
- It will then appear in your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on it and go to the ‘TablePress’ button. Select ‘Add New’ to create a table.
- Type in a name for the table and select the number of rows and columns needed. Once this is done, click on the ‘Add Table’ button.
- A screen will then appear with the table information, complete with space to add your data or information. After populating the table, you can proceed to the ‘Table Manipulation’ and ‘Table Options’ to customize how the data will be showcased.
- A short-code will then be provided, and you can add it to the post or page you were creating on WordPress.
TablePress plugin has excellent functionality that is made better with its easy-to-use interface. The tables created are saved in a database, and they can be used in several posts with great ease. You will also have the freedom to update or change the information in the table whenever there is a need.
The other free WordPress plugin that is loved by individuals looking for how to create a table in WordPress is Visualizer. It can easily be used to create professional-looking tables by:
Install and activate Visualizer.
- A visualizer section will then appear in the WordPress dashboard section.
- Click on it and select the ‘Add New’ button. From there, go to the table options and set the number of rows and columns required.
- Go to the ‘Advance Option’ section and under ‘General Settings’ give the table a name (mandatory) and description (optional).
- Go back to the table data section, navigate to the ‘Manual Data’ section, and then click on ‘Edit data.’ You will then be able to add content to the table.
- You can then opt to insert colors on the table by going to the ‘Advanced’ section and clicking on the ‘Row/Cell setting.’ There is the add color option that will allow you to do this.
- You also have the freedom to alter the structure and responsiveness of the table under ‘Chart settings.’
- Once you are satisfied with the table you have created, you can insert it on a WordPress page using the short-code provided.
There are lots of advanced things that you can do using the Visualizer plugin as it has many features. After mastering the basics, you can explore these exciting features or unlock better features by subscribing to the Visualizer premium package. Similar to TablePress, this plugin allows you to re-edit tables that had already been created.
3. WP Table Builder
Another great plugin preferred by those who want to insert table WordPress is WP Table Builder. Its simple drag-and-drop interface has made it excellent for creating simple tables such as menus, comparison tables, and schedules. This makes it the right solution for anyone who wants to present data straightforwardly without lots of styling.
To use this plugin, you need to:
- Install the plugin, and the WP Table Builder section will be added to the WordPress dashboard.
- Click on the ‘Add New’ button, and the drag-and-drop interface will be revealed.
- There are different content types provided that can be used depending on the needs at hand.
- Select the number of rows and columns required for the table.
- Populate the table with the content you have by dragging and dropping the elements into the right cell.
- Once you are done, the table can be added to your WordPress page by using the short-code provided. This is easily done by clicking the ‘Embed’ button that reveals a popup with this short-code.
You never have to lack an option when it comes to figuring out how to insert a table in WordPress. There are several ways to solve this problem, and the best part is you do not need to know how to code. The decision to opt for methods that require plugins or those that do not depend on the type of table you want to create.
However, using WordPress plugins allows you to enjoy features that can make the table visually attractive. They also make your work more comfortable as they are easier to use, create professional-looking tables, and the tables created can be made mobile-responsive. There are also endless customization options that add to the fun of using WordPress for your site.
You may like to see Some other Solution to Common WordPress Problems: